Not everyone can write. It is a writer’s virtue that allows his content to speak to its readers and prompts them to follow/ like on social media. You’re writing for a target audience who’ll read your blog and share it across varied platforms.
If you get it right, content development can enhance your online visibility and generate your leads within a short span of time.
Blog writing is a serious business. It should be given utmost importance. A well-researched blog will be shared across platforms. Here are some tips which we think should be implemented by every aspiring blog writer in his piece:
- Choose a compelling topic: Start writing keeping your readers in mind and considering what will be most valuable to them. If your blog can’t answer the question, “Why should my audience read my blog?”, then you need to head back to the drawing board and curate content as per your audience’s liking.
- Do your research: One of the biggest roadblocks to content development is assuming you have to say something that’s never been said before. That’s not necessarily true; you just have to find a way to say it better. The fact that you’re still in business should be a testament to the fact that you have something unique to offer. Is it your process? Your people? Your experience? Think about what you want to say, and find out what’s already been said. Then consider what questions are left unanswered, or how you can bring your own insights to the topic. This is your opportunity to shine!
- An attention-grabbing headline and an engrossing introduction is a must: Do you know 55% of the webpage viewers will spend less than 15 seconds on a page. You have less than 0.25 minutes to make the right first impression on your readers. The introduction to your blog post is extremely critical. Power it up with fresh statistics and research. Share an anecdote or a quirky/fun quote. Think of a short (3-4 sentence) story, a metaphor or an interesting instance that illustrates the need for what you’ll be discussing in the blog. The introduction should be relatable and not ramble off the track. Instead, it should be a gist of the entire content that you’ll be writing about.
- Look for linking opportunities: As you write, look for opportunities to link your content to various service pages, previously written blogs or landing pages of similar websites. Aim for at least two internal links per blog post. Ensure the phrase you use matches the URL you use for the link. For instance, the phrase “digital marketing agency” should link to a webpage with that same title or similar content.
- Find or create strong, relevant images: To make your blog stand out, you’ll need visually attractive images that resonate with your blog. Try avoiding images with words or a lot of distractions, since the title of your post will appear over this image. A good rule of thumb that every blog post writer should follow. Aim for one image for every 300 words. Make sure to save the image with the main keyword phrase you are using in your blog post, and NOT a description of the image.
- The blog should be SEO-friendly: SEO is a very important aspect of the digital world. Ensure that your piece of content has a 10% keyword density. Confused as to what keyword density means? Basically, it is a percentage of the number of times a keyword appears divided by the total number of words in your blog. For instance, if you have written a 100-word blog, the keyword you’re focussing on should ideally appear 10 times. To make matters easy, the equation for determining keyword density is (Number of keywords in the blog/ Total number of words) *100. The reason why you need your blog to be SEO-friendly is to make search engine bots understand your content better so you can rank better for those keywords in the search engine rankings.
- Excellent Formatting: The number of people reading your blogs is very less. Today, readers just skim the content. Hence, it is advisable to format your blogs/ article into short, easily readable chunks. Adjust your writing style as per your reader’s behaviour. Some ways to format your content include:
–> Using lists throughout the article
–> Avoiding long paragraphs and run-on sentences
–> Breaking the text with images and screengrabs
–> Using subheaders throughout your content
We’re sure, next time you decide to write a blog, you’ll keep these points in mind. The above-mentioned tips will make your blog/article more engaging and shareable.